Post by: Gina Homolka | Skinny Taste | Published on: 09/07/2016
Make meat sauce AND Spaghetti Squash at the same time with this delicious one-pot meal ready in under thirty minutes when made in the pressure cooker! To be completely honest, my kids don’t care for spaghetti squash so I boil some pasta on the side for them to serve with the meat sauce – everyone’s happy!
I’ve been getting tons of requests for more Instant Pot recipes so my goal is to share one new pressure cooker recipe per week. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, this can also be made in the slow cooker 6 to 8 hours on low.
I was experimenting a few weeks ago to see if I can make the spaghetti squash in the Instant pot without having to cut it. I poked some holes all over with a knife like I do in the microwave and set it over my sauce. I was a little nervous I will admit but the results were perfect!
I always save my cheese rinds when I buy Parmesan or Romano cheese, and keep them in my freezer for soups and sauce. They are flavor bombs, I highly recommend but omit for dairy-free, paleo or Whole30! Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
ONE-POT SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND MEAT SAUCE
(PRESSURE COOKER AND SLOW COOKER)
- 1 lb 93% ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I LOVE Tuttorosso)
- bay leaf
- pecorino romano cheese rind (optional, omit whole30)
- 1 Large (4 lb) spaghetti squash (makes 6 1/2 cups cooked)
- grated cheese for topping (optional, omit whole30)
- Sauté the beef with onion, garlic, salt, pepper. Added crushed tomatoes, bay leaf and cheese rind, stir. Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a knife and place over the sauce. Cook high pressure 15 minutes, or until the skin of squash easily gives when pressed with a spoon. Let the pressure release, discard bay leaf and rind and transfer the squash to a bowl to let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut in half with a large knife, discard the seeds and scoop the strands out with a fork. Place in a colander to drain well (I use paper towels as well to soak up any excess moisture) then serve sauce over squash with grated cheese if desired.
For the slow cooker, saute meat as above in skillet, transfer to slow cooker with remaining ingredients as listed above and cook low 6 to 8 hours.
Yield: 6 Servings, Serving Size: 1 cup squash, 2/3 cup sauce
Amount Per Serving: Smart Points: 2, Points +: 5, Calories: 210, Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: g, Cholesterol: 47mg
Sodium: 549mg, Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 8.5g, Protein: 19.5g
Leave a comment below and let me know how your one pot spaghetti squash and meat sauce came out! Did you use a pressure cooker or a slow cooker?
Reference Article: http://www.skinnytaste.com/one-pot-spaghetti-squash-and-meat-sauce-pressure-cooker-and-slow-cooker/