Post by: Ella | Naturally Ella | Published on: 08/07/2016
This is one of those recipes that after I take one bite, I know it’s a must-share. Yes, it’s kind of involved but I think it’s completely worth it. A good chunk of the ingredient list is spices and once you make the crumble, I hope you fall in love with it as much as I did (this chorizo-spiced version is perfect for quesadillas, tacos, and burritos). Not sure you want to tackle the spice blend? You can pick up chorizo seasoning here. These nachos are a great movie or game night snack but we eat these for dinner every so often!
Chorizo-Spiced Vegetarian Nachos
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Pinch of cinnamon, cloves
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1/2 cup short grain brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons to 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ cup minced red pepper
- 8 ounces tortilla chips
- Avocado, for serving
- Lime Wedges, for serving
- Combine the spices, set aside.
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, cooked brown rice, pecans, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Pulse a few times until mixture comes together and resembles a coarsely ground meal. Add in the spice mixture and pulse a few more times to combine, set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the minced onion, red pepper, and corn. Cook until everything is tender and lightly charring. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons in the skillet and add the nut mixture. Sautee until warm and fragrant.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine cheddar cheese and cornstarch in a small pot. Heat over medium low and stir until cheddar begins to melt. Add 6 tablespoons milk, paprika, and garlic powder, stir until mixture comes together. Add more milk, 1-2 tablespoon at a time, stirring frequently, to reach smooth and not-too-thin consistency.
- Assemble the nachos by dividing chips into 4 bowls. Sprinkle with corn mixture, crumble mixture, and a drizzle of the nacho cheese. Serve with avocado, lime wedges, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Reference Article: http://naturallyella.com/chorizo-spiced-vegetarian-nachos/