Original Post by: Pure Wow | Published on: 05/09/2015
Wings without the mess
We have a love-hate relationship with wings. The taste is great; the mess, not so much. So we set out to find a solution. The result? Buffalo chicken meatballs. These bites are spicy, tangy and perfectly tender, but infinitely more white-jeans-friendly.
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 celery stalks, finely minced
½ white onion, finely minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon mustard
1 pound ground chicken
1 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons butter
¾ cup Buffalo-style hot sauce
1 cup blue-cheese dressing (optional)
1. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the celery and onion, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the cooled celery mixture with the egg, mustard and ground chicken to combine. Add the bread crumbs, salt and pepper; mix to combine.
3. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook until golden brown all over, 2 to 3 minutes per side (8 to 10 minutes total). Shake the pan to roll the meatballs around in the hot oil to ensure they’re fully cooked through.
4. In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine until smooth. Toss the meatballs in the sauce to coat.
5. Serve the meatballs warm with a side of blue-cheese dressing (if using).
Note: The meatballs can be made up to two days ahead and gently reheated on the stove or in the microwave.
Reference Article: http://www.purewow.com/recipes/Buffalo-Chicken-Meatballs